Secretory and glandular trichomes (SGTs) are found on the surfaces of above ground plant tissues of approximately one third of all vascular plant species. Humans are familiar with these structures because they contain the essential oils that give cooking herbs their distinctive smell and taste. In addition to making foods taste better, these uni- and multi-cellular appendages are proposed to play a critical role in plant protection against various environmental stresses including herbivore attack, pathogen infection, extreme temperature, and excessive light.
Click to learn more
For past news click here.
Summer Internships 2015:
The tenth annual Plant Genomics @ Michigan State University Summer Undergraduate Research Program will run summer 2015. For information click here.
Recent publications from the project:
- NEWEST: Zi, J. Y. Matsuba, Y.J. Hong, A.J. Jackson, D.J. Tantillo, E. Pichersky and R.J. Peters 2014. Biosynthesis of lycosantalonol, a cis-prenyl derivedditerpenoid. J. Am. Chem Soc. DOI 10.1021/ja508477e
- Bedewitz, M.A., Gongora-Castillo, E., Uebler, J.B. Gonzales-Vigil, E., Wiegert-Rininger, K.E. et al. 2014. A root-expressed L-phenylalanine:4-hydroxyphenylpyruvate aminotransferase is required for tropane alkaloid biosynthesis in Atropa belladonna. Plant Cell 26:3745-3762. DOI 10.1105/tpc.114.130534
- Kim, J., Y. Matsuba, J. Ning, A.L. Schilmiller, D. Hammar, A.D. Jones, E. Pichersky and R.L. Last. 2014. Analysis of natural and induced variation in tomato glandular trichome flavonoids identifies a gene not present in the reference genome. Plant Cell. 26:3272-3285. doi:10.1105/tpc.114.129460.
- Wang, Z. and Jones, A.D. 2014. Profiling of stable isotope enrichment in specialized metabolites using liquid chromatography and multiplexed nonselective collision-induced dissociation. Anal. Chem. 86:10600-10607. doi: 10.1021/ac502205y
- Falara, V., Alba, J.M., Kant, M.R., Schuurink, R.C. and Pichersky, E. 2014. Geranyllinalool synthases in solanaceae and other angiosperms constitute an ancient branch of diterpene synthases involved in the synthesis of defensive compounds.Plant Physiol. 166:428-441. doi: 10.1104/pp.114.243246
- Kang, J.-H., J. McRoberts, F. Shi, J. E. Moreno, A. D. Jones, and G. A. Howe. 2014. The Flavonoid Biosynthetic Enzyme Chalcone Isomerase Modulates Terpenoid Production in Glandular Trichomes of Tomato.” PLANT PHYSIOLOGY 164: 1161-74.doi:10.1104/pp.113.233395.
- Ekanayaka EAP, Li C, Jones AD. 2013. Sesquiterpenoid glycosides from glandular trichomes of the wild tomato relative Solanum habrochaites. Phytochemistry 98:223-231. DOI: 10.1016/j.phytochem.2013.11.011
- Yu G, Pichersky E. Heterologous expression of methylketone synthases 1 and 2 leads to production of methylketones and myristic acid in transgenic plants. Plant Physiol, 164:612-622. DOI:10.1104/pp.113.228502.
- Kang, J-H., E. Gonzales-Vigil, Y. Matsuba, E. Pichersky and C. Barry. 2014. Determination of reidues responsible for substrate and product specificity of Solanum habrochaites short-chain cis-prenyltransferases. Plant Physiol. 164:80-91. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1104/pp.113.230466
- Li, C., Z. Wang and A.D. Jones. 2013. Chemical imaging of trichome specialized metabolites using contact printing and laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. Anal. and Bioanal. Chem. 406:171-182. doi:10.1007/s00216-013-7444-6
- Ghosh, B., T.C. Westbrook, T.C. and A.D. Jones. 2013. Comparative structural profiling of trichome specialized metabolites in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) and S. habrochaites: acylsugar profiles revealed by UHPLC/MS and NMR. Metabolomics. doi: 10.1007/s11306-013-0585-y
- Li, C., A. Schmidt, E. Pichersky, F. Shi, and A. D. Jones. 2013. Identification of methylated flavonoid regioisomeric metabolites using enzymatic semisynthesis and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry, Metabolomics, 9: S92-S101. doi: 10.1007/s11306-012-0451-3.
- Matsuba, Y, Nguyen, T.T., Wiegert, K., Falara, V., Gonzales-Vigil, E., Leong, B., Schafer, P., Kudrna, D., Wing, R.A., Bolger, A.M., Usadel, B., Tissier, A., Fernie, A.R., Barry, C.S., and Pichersky, E. 2013. Evolution of a complex locus for terpene biosynthesis in Solanum. Plant Cell 25: 2022-2036. doi:10.1105/tpc.113.111013.
- Akhtar, T.A., Matsuba, Y., Schauvinhold, I., Yu, G., Lees, H.A., Klein, S.E. and Pichersky, E. 2013. The tomato cis-prenyltransferase gene family. Plant J., 73(4):640-52. doi: 10.1111/tpj.12063.
- Kim, J., K. Kang, E. Gonzales-Vigil, F. Shi, C.S. Barry, A.D. Jones and R.L. Last. 2012. Mass spectrometry reveals strong diversity in glandular trichome acylsugars of the wild tomato Solanum habrochaites. Plant Physiol. 160 (4), 1854-1870. doi:10.1104/pp.112.204735
- Schilmiller, A.L., A.L. Charbonneau and R.L. Last. 2012. Identification of a BAHD acetyltransferase that produces protective acyl sugars in tomato trichomes. Proc. Natl. Acad. U.S.A. 109:16377-16382. doi:10.1073/pnas.1207906109.
- Milo, R. and R.L. Last. 2012. Achieving diversity in the face of constraints - lessons from metabolism. Science. 336:1663-1667. doi: 10.1126/science.1217665
For the full list of publications from this project click here.
For past news click here
LiveScience.Com piece on the AT2 gene. An article on the project can be found here.
RNA-seq data from trichome RNA isolated from seven S. habrochaites accessions is available in Genbank (SRX159744, SRX159100, SRX159765, SRX159766, SRX159767, SRX159768, and SRX159769). See Kim et al. (2012) for details.
S. lycopersicum trichome proteomics data now in GenBank.
2.3 Million project EST sequences available in GenBank.
ESTs of total trichomes of S. lycopersicum LA3475 (M82 cultivated tomato) are available as experiment SRX004021.
ESTs of type VI glands of S. lycopersicum LA3475 (M82 cultivated tomato) are available as experiment SRX004022.
ESTs of total trichomes of S. pennellii LA0716 are available as experiment SRX011590.
ESTs of total trichomes of S. habrochaites LA1777 are available as experiment SRX011591.
ESTs of type VI glands of S. habrochaites LA1777 are available as experiment SRX011592.
ESTs of type VI glands of S. pimpinellifolium LA1589 are available as experiment SRX011593.
ESTs of type VI glands of S. arcanum LA1708 are available as experiment SRX011594.
A total of 26,000 Sanger EST sequences from the project are available from GenBank. These are from S. habrochaites PI126449 type VI glands, S. habrochaites LA1777 types I and IV glands, S. lycopersicum LA3475 types I and VII and S. pennellii LA0716 types IV and VI glands.
Computer assembled consensus assemblies for these trichome ESTs are available for search here. Note that these contigs have not been assessed by human annotation or experimentally validated.